Face it, no one wants to get stuck with a big stack of medical bills, and certainly not if the accident wasn’t your fault! A good indicator that you are not at fault is if the police officer gave the other driver a ticket.

If you are not sure who was at fault for the accident, you can get a copy of the police report.

If the Accident Wasn’t Your Fault: If you were not responsible for the accident, then it doesn’t make sense for you to be responsible for the medical bills and expenses. The other driver should be.

If the other driver has auto insurance, that insurance may be used to pay for your medical bills, property damage, and other expenses related to the accident, such as time you missed being out of work.

When Might You Have to Use Your Own Insurance?

If the Accident is Your Fault: If you were responsible for the accident, your insurance may have what’s called “med pay,” and this may cover some of your medical bills up to a certain limit. You will need to use your own insurance for property damage. Unfortunately, a personal injury attorney will probably not be able to help you in this situation.

The Other Driver Hit Me, and Left the Scene (Hit-and-Run): If the driver responsible leaves the scene and is not caught, you may have to use your own insurance. Hopefully you have uninsured motorist coverage (UM). This insurance can be a protection in this situation by paying for bills and expenses associated with your accident.

There is no insurance on the other car: Unfortunately, there are drivers who drive without insurance. In this instance, you may have to use your own insurance. If you have uninsured motorist (UM) coverage, your insurance may cover your medical bills and property damage related to the accident. Sadly, many people don’t have UM insurance, because they tried to make their policy cheaper, but it can be financially disastrous if you don’t have UM coverage.

There is not enough insurance available: If the vehicle’s insurance has the minimum insurance coverage of $25,000, this can easily be eaten up by hospital bills, ambulance rides, x-rays, physical therapy, or chiropractic treatment. If the policy limit doesn’t cover your medical bills, you may have to use your own insurance called under-insured motorist coverage (UIM).

When You Might Need to Talk to an Accident Attorney

If the accident is not your fault, dealing with the insurance company can be dangerous! They will be doing their best to pay you as little as possible for your injuries. There is a lot involved in a personal injury case, including getting all the medical bills and records, gathering evidence, logging missed time at work, going to doctor appointments, and more. It’s a full time job.

That’s why Murphy Law Firm is here. We skillfully handle all the legal aspects of your personal injury claim while you focus on your medical treatment and getting better. Many of our clients experience peace of mind that their case is being handled the best way possible.

Call Murphy Law Firm for a free consultation with Attorney James Murphy. 770-577-3020